World Health Organization (WHO): Public Health Officer in Nigeria
Job Title: Public Health Officer
Ref No: 1703192
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contractual Arrangement: Temporary Appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract duration: 6 Months
Objectives of the Programme
- The mission of WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme (The Programme) is to build the capacity of Member States to manage health emergency risks and, when national capacities are overwhelmed, to lead and coordinate the international health response to contain outbreaks and to provide effective relief and recovery to affected populations
Description of Duties
- Summary of Assigned Duties (Describe what the incumbent has to do to achieve main objectives; include main achievements expected)
The incumbent will perform some or all of the following duties:
- Assess threats to human life and health, damage to health infrastructure for primary and secondary care, the state of health referral and support systems, including cold chain, laboratory, essential drugs and health information systems, and the vital needs of the affected populations.
- Collaborate with national authorities and health partners to coordinate and implement public health response activities as part of the health cluster’s strategic response; analyse existing coordination mechanisms, designing and recommending improvements.
- Provide analysis of the public health risks, needs and capacities and advise on priority interventions for WHO and partners; challenges and operational course correctors, as applicable.
- Essential: University degree in public health and/or health-related fields from an accredited/recognized institute.
- Desirable: Master’s or Doctorate degree in public health. Post graduate studies or specialized training in emergency response or disaster management in the context of public health. Diploma in tropical medicine or diploma in disaster management
- Essential: At least five years of relevant experience, at the national and international levels, in public health in emergencies response or health sector coordination, with emphasis on managing outbreaks and health emergencies and/ or health consequences of emergencies and crises in capacity building, developing and promoting collaborative partnerships.
- Desirable: Relevant work experience in WHO, other UN agencies, health cluster partners, recognized humanitarian organizations or relevant nongovernmental or humanitarian organizations.
- In-depth knowledge of public health programmes with focus on prevention and control of NCDs and major risk factors, health system, and the Millennium Development Goals.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of operational management of health aspects/consequences of humanitarian crises and outbreaks in field settings.
- Demonstrated skills in capacity building, proposal and report writing, knowledge of and experience with needs assessments in emergency settings, strategic information analysis and planning and ability to anticipate new trends in the field of public health and take actions accordingly.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
Application Deadline 24th October, 2017. To apply click here