Video Editor: BBC Africa
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching a new Sports weekly TV programme and innovative digital sport content alongside existing African Sport output.
Marketing / Advertising / Communications and Creatives(Arts, Design, Fashion)
Preferred Years of Experience
3 - 5 years
1 week from now
Purpose of Job
- The Video Editors, BBC Lagos, work in support of African Languages’ TV and digital video output in the bureau. They work with editorial teams and alongside Directors, Technical Production Manager and TV gallery crews, to produce live and recorded TV news programmes and digital video, and other non–news material.
- The Video Editors will work with the African language TV teams, stakeholders in the Lagos bureau, the TVU in London and other teams as required, to include teams to assemble video and associated sound input from all sources to WS TV, video and digital outlets.
- Professional camera skills would be useful but not essential. A good understanding of/spoken English as well as one of the African languages in which the BBC broadcasts is essential. S/he will be expected to maintain strong links with the Picture Editor community in BBC News and the Video Editor community in the TVU.
- S/he will be expected to work flexibly as required.
The Video Editor is required to:
- Edit pictures and sound to support multilingual, multi–media and multi–platform reports in BBC Language TV and video output:
- Create and develop visual effects treatments to enhance the telling of a story:
- Be technically competent in the ingesting, editing and publication of all TV and video content in base and on location:
- Have a full understanding of the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines:
Experience, Knowledge & Skills
- A comprehensive and up to date knowledge of craft editing techniques, and the skill of adapting editing techniques to suit the varying demands of WS Language TV programmes, and the material and time available.
- A thorough understanding of live television production techniques is necessary. An ability to work effectively with production teams and understand their requirements, operational and production.
- A comprehensive knowledge of and interest in News and Current Affairs is essential, as is the ability to assimilate information rapidly, and identify the key elements of the story which must be illustrated.
To apply click here
- Imagination/Creative Thinking - Is able to problem solve and be proactive in achieving editorial
- objectives with limited resources.
- Editorial Judgement - Demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of BBC editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and department objectives.