Civil / Structural Engineer: Arbico Plc
Arbico Plc is a full service, building and civil engineering contracting company. It was established in 1958 and has been quoted on the Nigerian Stock Exchange since 1978.
The company has become one of the foremost building construction companies in Nigeria with presence across the geopolitical zones of the country.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- You will be responsible for designing and calculating the structure of the project, accordingly to the Design Concept, so that it can remain “fit for purpose” throughout all its life cycle. This implies that it will fulfil its purpose, withstand stress and pressure, remain safe, facing any human or environmental acceptable potential events and this will remain functioning spanning this life cycle.
- You will also have to give expertise and advice on existing or already designed structures and to propose alternatives and options.
- You will have to work on a various range of new and older projects and buildings.
- Your intervention will be asked on Design stage as well as on Site Completion stage until the hand-over.
- Your responsibility will also include the choice the appropriate materials.
- In so you will closely liaise with the Data & Cost Manager
Duties & responsibilities for the position:
- Undertaking structural and technical studies including site investigations.
- Analyse and calculate the pressures, stresses and strains that each component of the building. Report loads and stresses and be able to perform complex and repetitive calculations.
- Consider the strength of various materials, e.g. timber, concrete, steel and brick, to see how their inclusion may necessitate a change of the structural design.
- Examine structures at risk of collapse and advising how to improve their structural integrity, such as recommending removal or repair of defective parts or rebuilding the entire structure.
- Making sure the project complies with legal requirements.
- Resolving design and development problems.
- Minimum of 2nd Class degree in Civil/Structural Engineering
- Master’s degree in Civil/Structural Engineering
- Membership of relevant professional body
- Minimum of 5 years consulting industry experience
- Ability to think methodically, to design, plan and manage projects.
- Solid understanding and knowledge of construction methods and legal regulations.
- The ability to maintain an overview of entire projects while continuing to attend to detailed technicalities.
- Three-dimensional skills.
- Above-average use of Microsoft suite (Word and Excel).
- Advanced IT skills including extensive knowledge of Autodesk AutoCAd and Autodesk REVIT.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Commercial awareness.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should send soft copy of their CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the job title as subject of their email. To apply click here