Business Development Associate Job: BBC Media Action
The BBC is the leading international broadcaster in Africa reaching a weekly audience of more than 100 million on Radio, TV, Digital (language sites and bbcafrica.com), Mobile and Social Media. They broadcast to Africa in English, Hausa, Somali, French, Kinyarwanda/Kirundi, Kiswahili & Arabic.
Overall Purpose of the Job
- To help maintain and enhance business activities in Nigeria, reporting to the Business Development Manager, Southern and West Africa. This includes starting, maintaining and developing partnerships across all platforms promoting English, Pidgin and Igbo content. To ensure that these partnerships build the BBC’s audience and that partners are given great customer service.
- To take responsibility for day-to-day partner management, including updating partners with programming information and schedule changes, coordinating marketing activity and working on new initiatives.
- To liaise with partners on day-to-day queries, content placement, publicity and, where appropriate, invoice payments and debt collection.
- To work with BBC lawyers and the Business Development team, assisting with contract negotiations wherever required, enabling the BBC to form long- term relationships and secure distribution outlets that make BBC journalism more widely available without compromising the BBC’s reputation, independence or editorial integrity.
- To maintain and manage appropriate information and finance systems, reporting periodically on performance against targets. To be responsible for market and partner updates in the CRM system.
- To work closely with World Service English, appropriate language services, Marketing and Distribution & Transmission to ensure broadcasting and online partners receive the best possible service.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Considerable experience of working in a sales and marketing, business development and/or editorial environment.
- Ability to liaise authoritatively both within the BBC and with outside organisations, covering a range of editorial and business interests.
- Ability to gain a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of BBC Commercial and Editorial Guidelines and the BBC’s international strategy.
- Good knowledge of relevant BBC World Service output in all media.
- A high standard of written business English and fluency in English, Igbo and Pidgin.
- Experience in sales techniques including negotiating, influencing and networking skills
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies:
To apply click here
- Judgement - demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of BBC editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and department objectives. Makes the right decisions, taking account of conflicting views where necessary.
- Analytical Thinking - Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for problem-solving and/or development.
- Decision Making - His ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
- Communication - The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.